USE OF AREA
Chemistry Centre (also referred to as Chemistry D) is a research laboratory that was originally built in 1925. Being the oldest building at UBC, it is of great heritage value.
WHAT WAS DONE
Under the UBC Renew program the existing space was completely refurbished and reconfigured to create large open state of the art labs that are more flexible and are in keeping with today’s academic spirit of researcher collaboration. The building was gutted and brought up to current building codes all while preserving the original granite facade, structure, copper scuppers, interior corridors, windows, and detailing. It received new heating, lighting and ventilation, all while promoting sustainability by consuming fewer resources than demolition/construction of a new building.
TIME & COST
The overall project cost was approximately $38.8 Million compared to $47.7 Million for a replacement building – 67% of the cost of building new.