As the COVID-19 situation continues to evolve, the province has listed construction as an essential service in B.C. (view here). Worksites are taking all necessary precautions as advised by Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) and Provincial Health Officials.
What does this mean?
- Construction projects currently managed by Project Services and UBC Properties Trust remain active at this time.
- Project Managers/ Project Coordinators may request or require access to UBC buildings if a project is in progress.
- Project Managers / Project Coordinators are working full-time and on a rotating schedule — working from home and in the office. In this way, the team can meet the university’s physical distancing objectives but ensure sites are fully supported. Should you require on-site assistance, please contact your Project Manager/Coordinator.
- Contractors and external partners are following guidance from the province and implementing enhanced safety measures on-site.
- Enhanced security measures are also in place on the Vancouver campus, as fewer people are on campus. A reminder for everyone to ensure entrances are closed/locked behind them when entering/exiting a building.
What are the recommended new measures for worksites?
- Worksites will have reduced the number of workers on-site, where required to facilitate physical distancing between workers. Where possible, employees/workers maintain a distance of 2 metres apart from each other.
- Worksites will have a reduction of in-person meetings and other gatherings, and meetings are being held in open spaces or outside.
- Worksites will have mandated hand washing on arrival, before breaks, and at departure.
- Worksites have also increased the number of hand washing stations with appropriate hand cleaning products.
- Break times are staggered to avoid congregation in break areas and lunchrooms.
- For more information, visit COVID-19 Resources for Building Construction and Operations.
For more information on construction on campus during COVID-19, please visit the Facilities website.
For information on the latest updates on COVID-19 and UBC’s response, visit https://covid19.ubc.ca.